A great alternative to tomato or creamy pasta sauces. I love this butternut squash and sweet potato sauce. It is so versatile and could be used in a variety of ways. It has a yummy, creamy texture yet is dairy free, is a great way to get veggies into little one’s meal and can be adapted to suit a range of diets. I used a Kallo low salt chicken stock cube yet you could use a vegetable one to make it vegan. Pair the sauce with a gluten free pasta to make the dish gluten free too. Add cumin and fresh chilli to give the sauce a kick or even cinnamon to make it sweeter.
Depending on how much stock you add and how much you blend it, this would make a good weaning purée (omitting any salt). You could also thin the sauce out with more stock to make a delicious soup. I may do this with the leftovers I froze. I left mine fairly think and served it with spaghetti, peas and chunks of roast chicken but you could really experiment and use whatever you have in the fridge.
500g mix of butternut squash and sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp rosemary
500ml hot stock, I used Kallo low salt chicken stock cubes
1. Pre heat the oven to 200c. Drizzle the butternut squash and sweet potato in a little olive oil and pop on a baking tray in the oven to roast.
2. Whilst the veg is in the oven, heat a splash of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and cook on a medium heat until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Remove the veg from the oven and add to the onions and garlic. Sprinkle in the rosemary and stir until combined.
4. Pour in the hot stock and increase the heat. Once the liquid is boiling turn the heat down to a simmer and allow to reduce by half. This may take 10-15 minutes.
5. When the veg is soft and the liquid has reduced remove the pan from the heat. Using a stick blender blend the liquid until smooth. Taste and add any additional seasoning to your liking.
6. Stir through cooked pasta and add your choice of vegetables and/ or meat. I used half of the sauce for three portions and froze the rest.
Dairy, egg, nut, soya and gluten free
Total make time less than 45 minutes