How about an autumnal, Halloween twist on a favourite? Mini Pumpkin Meatballs! These are really easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time or frozen for a later meal. I served mine with my Versatile Tomato Sauce which I made whilst chilling the meatballs, however any tomato pasta sauce would work nicely.
This is another great meal to get in some hidden veggies. With veggies in the meatballs and packed in the tomato sauce, it is definitely toddler friendly. The pumpkin purée also acts as a great binding agent in this recipe rather than using an egg. You could also use butternut squash or even apple instead of the pumpkin. Make sure you check out my Beef & Beetroot Meatballs which are another family favourite.
500g beef mince
2 tbsp Pumpkin Purée
2 tbsp oats
2 tsp thyme
1/2 an onion, grated
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1. In a food processor blitz all the ingredients together until combined.
2. Divide the mixture into 18 and roll each piece into a small ball. Place each on a plate and pop in the fridge to chill for an hour.
3. Whilst the meatballs are chilling you can make the tomato pasta sauce.
4. Remove the meatballs from the fridge and pre heat the oven to 180c. In a large oven proof pan, heat a drizzle of oil and add the meatballs. Fry gently, turning frequently until all sides are browned.
5. Before adding the tomato sauce, blot off any excess oil from the meatballs. Then stir in the sauce and pop into the oven for 45 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven. Check the meatballs are fully cooked by cutting one open. Serve with wholewheat spaghetti and garlic bread.
Dairy, egg, nut and soya free. Gluten free depending on the oats and spaghetti used.
Total make time less than two hours.