As our dinners are dairy free we don’t have too many creamy based dishes. We didn’t really have cream based dishes before little one so I don’t feel like we’re missing out and our waist lines are definitely grateful! Every so often it is nice for a change, though. I overheard a customer in Tesco saying that they were having Beef Stroganoff for dinner that night. Once I’d got it into my head it was what I really fancied for dinner. I had also stocked up on Oatly when it was on offer so thought it would be a great way to use it up.
I don’t think this can be classed as a classic or true stroganoff recipe as I didn’t include brandy. It does use beef and mushrooms, but to make it vegan up you could omit the beef and increase the quantity of mushrooms. I also added green peppers to bulk up the veg content, but you could leave this out. However, it tasted pretty good and is another dish to add to our dinner menu, so it’s a win with us!
A splash of vegetable oil
2 thin, quick cook beef steaks, sliced into thin pieces
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
250g mushrooms, cleaned and thickly sliced
1 tsp paprika
1tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp dairy free spread, I used pure sunflower.
1 tbsp plain flour. You could use gluten free flour.
300 ml dairy free milk, I used Oatly.
1 tsp parsley
Pepper to taste
1. In a large pan, heat the oil over a high heat and quickly brown the beef. Remove from pan and keep to one side.
2. In the same pan add the onions and pepper. Reduce the heat and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften. Then return the beef to the pan.
3. Then add the paprika and tomato purée, stirring through and cook for a couple of minutes.
4. Next place the dairy free spread into the pan and cook until it has melted. Stir in the flour, cooking for a couple of minutes to get rid of the floury taste. Then gradually pour in the dairy free milk, constantly stirring. Increase the heat slightly, stirring frequently until the sauce thickens. Add the parsley and bubble for a few minutes.
5. Serve with rice and green veggies or it’s delicious with homemade chunky chips.
Dairy, egg, nut and soya free. Could also be gluten free depending on the flour you use.
Makes two adult portions and one toddler portion
Total make time less than 30 minutes