You may have seen that I recently attended the Babease Weaning Cookery Masterclass. I mentioned that one of the recipes we made was on the go muffins. Whilst very yummy they weren’t particularly little one friendly, containing milk, cheese, and eggs. The original recipe used buckwheat flour and polenta making it suitable for those following a gluten free diet. Fortunately gluten is something we can tolerate so I switched it for wholewheat flour instead. I also sprinkled oats on top of the batter before baking instead of cheese. This added another texture but the main reason for this was because I find Violife block cheese can melt a little strangely.
On the go muffins switches
So here are the changes I made to make the recipe more little one friendly.
- The recipe called for two eggs which I replaced with Orgran egg replacer. I often use flaxseed eggs in recipes however I had run out. The Orgran egg replacer worked well in its place.
- Instead of using a splash of dairy milk I used Oatly. This is our go to dairy free milk but I am sure your dairy free milk of choice would also work.
- Lastly I swapped cheese for grated Violife. This would nicely in the batter. Next time I would used the parmesan version to grate on top before baking as it melts quite nicely. You could also added some nutritional yeast flakes to the batter before baking to give the muffins a cheesier taste.
I am a big fan of savoury muffins in general as they are a great go to snack, breakfast, accompaniment to lunch or dinner. These ones have the added bonus of being packed with veggies and taste. If I was using them as a part of baby led weaning then I would skip the cheese to reduce the salt content, but for little one they are pretty perfect. I am looking forward to trying these again using different Babease pouches and experimenting with the grated vegetables.
What flavour combinations do you want to try?
**Although the Babease pouch was gifted as part of a goodie bag, the views are all my own**
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 135 grams wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp mixed herbs dried
- 2 vegan eggs I used Orgran
- 1 x 100 grams Babease pouch I used Sweet Potato, Carrot & Cauliflower
- 1 small onion grated
- 1 small carrot grated
- 20 grams dairy free cheese I used Violife
- 6 tbsp oil I used olive oil
- 1 tbsp oats
- 1 - 2 tbsp dairy free milk I used Oatly
- Preheat the oven to 200c and line a muffin tray with 9 cupcake cases.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, Babease pouch, onion, carrot, cheese, and oil.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and mixed herbs.
- Add the flour mix to the wet ingredients, gently stirring until the flour is combined through. If the mix is too dry, then gradually add the dairy free milk.
- Spoon the mixture equally into the muffin cases and sprinkle with the oats. Pop the tray into the oven and lower to 180c.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Leave to stand in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
Dairy, egg, nut, and soya free. Vegan.
Makes 9 muffins