This easy white sauce can be used to make lots of whole family dishes. Add grated dairy free cheese to turn it into a yummy cheese sauce.
- 40 g plain flour
- 40 g dairy free spread (I used Pure Sunflower Spread)
- 600 ml dairy free milk (I used Oatly)
- 80 g grated dairy free cheese (I used Violife)
- Salt and pepper is optional to taste
1. Melt the dairy free butter in a saucepan on a low heat.
2. Stir in the flour and cook the flour out for a couple of minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the dairy free milk. Make sure you stir constantly to avoid lumps and to get a smooth sauce.
4. Return the pan back to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. You should notice it thickening up. This may take about 5 minutes or so.
5. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook gently for about 5 – 8 minutes, stirring often . If using seasoning, add it now. I leave it out for my little one.
Turn it into a cheese sauce-
6. Now you can add the grated dairy free cheese, stirring until it has melted. I leave it on the hob with the heat off. If you’re using Violife you may find it takes a while to melt.
You can now add the sauce to the cooked pasta, cooked veggies (we like the classic cauliflower cheese) or even cooked meats. Place in an oven proof dish and cook for 20 minutes. Adding breadcrumbs for a crunchy topping or more grated dairy free cheese for a bubbly, indulgent topping! We use the sauce without the cheese in fish or chicken pies.
Dairy, egg, soya and nut free
Makes just over 1 pint of cheese sauce
25 minutes total make time