An alternative to regular porridge, porridge shapes are great for baby led weaning (and a little less messy!). This is a popular recipe with my little one’s fellow June buddies!
3 tbsp porridge oats
3 tbsp dairy free milk (I use Oatly or little one’s formula)
Optional extras- 1 tsp cinnamon, banana, raisins, dairy free choc chips…
1. Soak the porridge oats in the dairy free milk. If using cinnamon, I stir that in now.
2. Once the porridge oats are mushy (I find under ten minutes means there is still some texture to the shapes) press into an oven or microwave safe dish.
If using the microwave,
3. Cook for about 2 mins on high. Adjust your timings depending on the power of your microwave.
If using the oven,
3. Cook in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 5/ 190C for 10-15 minutes. Personally I find the oven is best if you have the time as it gives the shapes a nicer texture.
4. Carefully cut the porridge into soldiers or shapes (cookie cutters are great!) whilst hot.
5. Allow to cool and serve!
Be creative and add chopped fruit or raisins to the mix by pressing into the oats before baking. Be careful when adding anything that it doesn’t make the mixture too wet.
Dairy, egg, soya and nut free
Less than 30 minutes to make
Makes one serving