Running out of ways to use up all that pumpkin purée you’ve made… or need an excuse to make some. Here is my pumpkin flapjack recipe. I made them originally with the intention of taking part in the #halloweentagalong which Whole Family Food organises on Instagram. I’ve posted a lot about them before so makes sure you have a look back at some of my previous offerings if you’d like to find out more. Unfortunately I was struck down with the dreaded lurgy and wasn’t able to post on time, so didn’t take part in the end. However I thought I’d post it here as I had already made them and they were pretty yummy.
The recipe is based on The Big Man’s World one. I tweaked the measurements to work for me and added some Halloweeny, festive spices. This recipe works great for the #halloweentaglong as it’s free from refined sugar, using coconut sugar instead. Still not a great idea to have in large quantities but does provide calcium which is a bonus for a dairy free diet!! I used pumpkin purée however I would like to try them again with apple purée perhaps so that they’re not so seasonal.
250ml pumpkin purée
50g coconut sugar
1 tsp each of ground nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 180c and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl mix together the oats, sugar and spices. Stir in the pumpkin purée until fully combined.
3. Press the flapjack mixture into the cookie cutter shapes on the baking tray, using the back of a spoon to flatten and compact the mixture.
4. Remove the cookie cutter shape and repeat until all the mixture has been used up.
5. Pop in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. They should be golden and slightly springy when done.
6. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container for a few days.
Dairy, egg, nut, soya and gluten (depending on the oats used) free. Vegan
Total make time less than half an hour.
Makes 12 large flapjacks
Remember you can vote for me in the Allergy Blog Awards UK. I’ve been nominated in the Parent Allergy Blog category and the Free From Recipes Category. Thank you!!!