One of my favourite things when the evenings draw in and the nights get colder is a yummy bowl of casserole! Not wanting to wait until the Autumn, this light chicken casserole is a great option. It’s pretty flexible with what you can add, so definitely take the opportunity to use up any vegetables in your fridge. To make it even easier you could always use a pre cut casserole pack available from supermarkets! Little one seemed to enjoy it too, even if she did expertly avoid the spinach!
Splash of oil
2/3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stick, sliced
200g baby new potatoes
1 tbsp dairy free spread, I used Flora Freedom
1 tbsp plain flour
1 pint of vegetable or chicken stock, I used Kallo organic very low salt
1 tsp each rosemary and thyme
A large handful of spinach
1. In a large saucepan heat the oil. Add the chicken to the pan and remove once brown. Save for later.
2. To the same pan tip in the onions, garlic, celery, carrots and potatoes. Cook gently until softened.
3. Spoon in the dairy free spread and stir until melted. Next reduce the heat add the flour, stirring for a couple of minutes.
4. Gradually pour in the stock, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Once all the stock has been added, return the chicken to the pan and turn the heat up to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer to thicken up. Mix in the rosemary and thyme.
5. Let the casserole bubble away for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked and potatoes are soft. In the last 5 minutes add the spinach.
6. Serve with crusty bread! Yum!
Dairy, egg, nut and soya free.
Total make time an hour